[Wikimedia-l] New year's plans for editor engagement

rupert THURNER rupert.thurner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 11:14:45 UTC 2014

hi pine,

as a volunteer, my personal stance is that editor engagement is best
experienced on a personal, pragmatic, and not-meta level. let me give an
example:

when i met anasuya sengupta last year i was very impressed by her. such a
nice and welcoming person to talk to. such a bright person, making
intelligent suggestions to topics we have. she told us at wikimedia ch,
that we do not reach the volunteers very well - basically 50 times more
people edit wikipedia than the ones willing to engage in any form with an
organisation around the movement, like wikimedia.ch. besides that, she is
kind of the "dream wikimedian" who would be able to correct two of the most
prominent editor statistics: she is woman, she is from india. and she is
educated, she is organized, she is successful.

after meeting, i did what i usually do, look on the contributions. to my
great surprise, anasuya seems not have any billable edits ("billable" is,
in my personal definition, an edit on a page where a donor would click and
give money, so no talk page, meta, etc.). she as well does not seem to
write open source software used by the movement. i cannot say if she really
does not edit - she just does it in a way that a regular volunteer like me
would not notice.

funny enough, anasuya sits for one and a half years next to sue gardner in
the san francisco office of the wikimedia foundation. sue gardner supported
the editor engagement program, and the india program, she put efforts in
making wikipedia nicer for women. and wmf put hundred thousands of dollars
into efforts which basic target is to win anasuya as a contributor.

happy new year as well!

rupert.

ps: if this mail is the cause to have one additional editor, its goal is
fullfilled ;) and if every volunteer convinces one person to become
wikimedia volunteer this year, you, pine, will write a different mail at
the beginning of 2015.