[Wikimedia-l] Planned school curriculum by MPAA

Laura Hale laura at fanhistory.com
Thu Sep 26 10:51:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerromeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd be OK if they simply gave some space in the training materials to
> talk
> > about public domain, free licenses and fair use. That's not likely to
> > happen given who's in control of those lesson plans.
> >

> You're still just arguing about the correctness of the material. I agree
> that this curriculum is stupid and misleading, but that doesn't explain why
> the WMF should care enough to make a statement, or even continue
> discussion, about it.

One alternative option would be to work with the Education folks and create
Wikimedia centric lesson plans for teachers to use that share the values
people are expressing.  These can be linked on education outreach pages,
distributed to chapters, etc.  Or general handouts can be made that explain
these concepts ad the linked on
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf . This is a nice option
because it is pro-active and community driven.  If some one does approach
the WMF externally asking for support on this issue, they have the
materials to then work with.

--
twitter: purplepopple
blog: ozziesport.com