[Wikimedia-l] Planned school curriculum by MPAA

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Sep 25 19:56:10 UTC 2013

On 9/25/2013 11:33 AM, Andrew Lih wrote:
> I'd be OK if they simply gave some space in the training materials to talk
> about public domain, free licenses and fair use. That's not likely to
> happen given who's in control of those lesson plans.
Because the program in question is intended for elementary schools, they
claim that the children aren't ready to handle the level of nuance and
abstract thought involved in those concepts. I might be willing to
accept that objection, but it really should be taken a step farther. At
that stage, most children aren't developmentally ready for the level of
abstraction involved in copyright, period. Neither the things it forbids
nor the things it allows.

A second-grader who wants to draw Buzz Lightyear, because that's her
favorite cartoon character and she wants to be an astronaut, is never
going to understand that Pixar owns the rights to that character and she
can't do whatever she wants with it. ("Honey, why don't you just put
away the crayons and come play with your action figure instead?") ("Yes,
I know Grandma buys your artwork for a quarter so she can put it on her
refrigerator, but you're not allowed to give her this one.") You can
tell her what's allowed and what's not, and she may even comply, but
there's no way she will understand the reasons, in her mind they will
simply be rules that you made up.

That's a particularly good sign that the purpose of the materials is
really propaganda and indoctrination. Regardless of whether the
curriculum is suitably "balanced", the concepts are beyond what's
developmentally appropriate to be teaching at that level.

--Michael Snow