[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] access to journals

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 13:06:35 UTC 2013

With regards to getting access to closed journals...
I'm now working for the National Library of Australia and we offer free, at
home, access to JSTOR and MANY other restricted access databases to any
Australian, if they get a free library card.
[You can see the full list at the NLA eResources page: http://www.nla.gov.au
/app/eresources/ ]

Is this unique to Australia? I must admit that I didn't realise until
recently the extent of the restricted databases that were available for
free to library card holders in their own home. With all the discussion
over the years on the global Wikimedia mailing lists about trying to
special access for Wikimedians, I had just assumed it was a global issue.
But, at least for Australians, it's largely solved... Are other country's
major libraries offering journal access to the public for free? If not,
perhaps rather than trying to get special access for Wikimedians directly
from the Database companies, we should be working to get access via Library
subscriptions?

Liam / Wittylama.

[p.s. yes - I realise I'm promoting a service offered by my employer,
sorry. But I reckon it's relevant and important that people know though.
p.p.s. If you are Australian and want a free library card sent to you - go
here: http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/ ]

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata