[Wikimedia-l] It's time to reclaim the community logo

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sat Sep 21 10:33:38 UTC 2013

I'm very sorry to see that it had to come to this (imho) radical step. I
however can agree with your analysis - I have always felt very
uncomfortable since I found out (after the fact of course) that the legal
department had made the decision to register this as a trademark. This went
against the very spirit of this logo (I indeed remember the discussions
which lead to the very creation of it) and was even more disappointed that
the WMF did not change its mind when the community explained the
intentions, situation and consequences to them.

I sincerely hope that the Board (yes, I think this should be a board level
decision - legal proceedings between a group of community members and the
WMF, even in a procedure like this, is an unprecedented situation and imho
highly undesirable) or otherwise the staff will seriously reconsider their
earlier decision to register this as a trademark, and re-apply the logo to
its original use.

Tomasz, I hope you will keep the wider community updated on progress being
made in this case.

Best,
Lodewijk