[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Toolserver-l] [TS logo] Fwd: Free as in Wikimedia Foundation

Heather Ford heather.ford at oii.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 22:17:57 UTC 2013

+1, Nathan. I think you very articulately pointed out the key problem that's been misidentified in this i.e. that the problem is *not* in WMF's protection of Wikimedia TM's generally (although I think there is still much to be improved about a process that results in stories like this https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/wikipedia-threatens-) but rather where the WMF chose to register a logo that was specifically designed by a member of the community to be used by groups who do not purport to represent the WMF but want something they can remix for their own thematic projects or use for unaffiliated events.

And I think it's unfair to suggest that any time someone complains about something the Foundation is doing they're exhibiting bad faith. If that was true, any critique would be an act of bad faith. We're all, in our own way, trying to help Wikimedia grow and flourish. The truth is that we have different ideas about how to get there.

best,
Heather.