[Wikimedia-l] Who will host Wikimedia Conference 2014? Bidding process is open!

Katie Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Wed Sep 18 14:59:27 UTC 2013

On 18/09/2013 14:29, Nathan wrote:
> Simple solution - until someone else volunteers to host the
> conference, just have it in the same place every year. You can work
> out distribution of funding independently from where it is actually
> held. Since WMDE seems to be in the driver seat, having a backup plan
> of a conference in Germany seems like a smart idea. That might
> privilege people with easy travel to Germany, but well organized
> affiliates can always propose a plan to host it elsewhere.
>
> It wouldn't be too bad to have a recurring conference in a fixed
> location. The staff setting it up won't need to overcome issues
> related to lack of experience, relationships with vendors and venues
> can be normalized, attendees can depend on the quality and standards
> of the event, and participants can expect a higher level of content
> because other potential distractions are eliminated.

It *was* held in the same country (namely Germany) every year
previously, until Italy hosted it this year. I presume the idea of
changing was so we *don't* have it at the same place every year so that
affiliates far from Germany don't have to travel as far some years
(though Italy isn't necessarily that far away from Germany this year).
Also possibly funding issue as WMDE don't necessarily want to bear the
cost of the whole conference every year.

Italy applied to the WMF Grants Program for fund to host this year
conference. Unless the WMF have agreed to guarantee funding for future
years conference (I haven't been following so not sure), then whoever is
hosting the conference will also need time to apply for funding from Grants.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the author is associated with or employed by.

      - Heinrich Heine