[Wikimedia-l] Radiological images

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Sep 17 21:39:50 UTC 2013

As often, I agree entirely with Risker - ethics and privacy are as big an
issue here as copyright and we need to be able to give a clear declaration
that both aspects are okay.

That said, I think Nathan has spotted a way forward - OA journals might be
the way to square this circle. Three points:

a) Medicine (thanks in part to our friends at the Wellcome and similar
groups) has been very active in adopting open access publication;
b) many gold (paid) open access uses a Wikipedia-compatible license, and
many funding mandates now require it;
c) most reputable journals now have robust ethics & subject-consent
policies and so we can work on the basis that images published in them will
be ethically usable;

Putting these three together, we might well have some good sources without
needing to develop our own ethical-clearance process. Searching for just
license-compliant OA articles is not yet a solved easy problem, but at
least we have somewhere to start looking.

Andrew.