[Wikimedia-l] Radiological images

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Sep 17 14:41:01 UTC 2013

The problem is that we are (in most cases) super cautious anyway - 99%
of the cases where we delete an old image it is functionally an orphan
work and we will never, ever, be challenged over using it or declaring
it PD. But we still delete it.

Likewise, we have lengthy debates about the validity of freedom of
panorama in countries where it is quite possible no lawyer has ever
considered the issue, much less a legislator or a court. The community
cares, a lot, about getting this right. It perhaps cares too much, but
that's another discussion!

I think if we're going to have a blanket declaration that x-rays are
exempt (probably in the US only) we'd need some solid, clear,
reasoning and a clear indication there's no previous legal activity
around this, or that previous legal activity is on our side - in other
words, something like our policy statement on reproductions of 2D
images. If we don't have this sort of foundation, it'll seem
capricious and opportunistic. The link Luis sent is a start, but it
does suggest a lot of work would be needed and we might not get a
clear answer in any case...

A.