[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia labs-tools

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 18:08:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Magnus Manske
<magnusmanske at googlemail.com>wrote:

> There was a recent mail saying that Labs is not considered "production"
> stability. Mainly a disagreement about how many 9s in the 99.99999% that
> represents.

Indeed. I don't want to get into the debate about this again, but tools is
considered "semi-production" which is a smaller set of nines. We're
reasonably staffed and have a well designed enough infrastructure to
properly support that, but it's not the case for "production"-level
support. The specific discussion about levels of support was for a service
that should be supported by WMF in production since it has uptime
requirements that we aren't scoped to handle.

We handle the underlying infrastructure with production-level support, but
we don't have the same level of support for projects inside of the
infrastructure.

I think so far we've done a relatively good job of keeping stability and
the level of stability has been increasing, not decreasing. If we did an
analysis of tools project outages vs toolserver, I'm positive our level of
unscheduled downtime would be far lower than toolserver's.

- Ryan