[Wikimedia-l] Please, let's save the Wikipedia - from itself

Lars Gardenius lars.gardenius at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 7 18:56:43 UTC 2013

привет Ярослав,

Yes, I am very serious. I was though only arguing about the members of this instance, be it an 'arbitration committe' or an ombudsman or whatever, with the duty to protect users from mobbing and abuses in the Wikis.

We must though be aware that there are very different countries in the world. What is possible in one part of the world is not possible in another. I am aware of the present situation in Russia and pity the Russians. I think the Wikis should at least reflect the society they are working in, not be worse, and it could be difficult to be better (I am still just talking about stopping mobbing and abuses in the Wikis).

I am certain that a committe could help against mobbing in Wikis even in Russia and in other countries with similar kind of problems. You could though perhaps, for reason that you express, not get any help from the outside society. If the members of such a committe would have any problems with the authorities or hooligans in such a country I don't know, but that could be an argument for placing it outside Russia (and other countries). Perhaps even just have one international instance.

Let me tell you a little about my own experiences to explain what I wrote. In my country we have a lot of ombudsmen to protect citizens from child abuse, harassment of immigrants and a lot of other things. The persons working with these questions are very public, you can find their names, photos etc. on the web. I have had a lot of contacts with these people during the last year. I have never heard of one single instance when they have been attacked, harassed or anything else. That is quite natural, I think, they have the protection of the surrounding society. If someone harassed or abused them, he/she be sued or arrested.

The situation is the same for people working against mobbing in schools and companies. They are of course also public persons. Still I have never heard of anyone being attacked. The reason is the same as above. If these persons were anonymous it would partly look very stupid and partly they could not do their job properly.

I do not see any reason why the situation wouldn't be the same for such an instance in the Wikis. As I said above the persons must be professional and hired by the Wikis, to get the right authority and respect. Where they are placed physically is not so important since there role is only to act within the Wikis (not in the society), perhaps one shouldn't choose Russia though.

I really think that it also has a psychological role not to be anonymous. The method of mobbers and extreme political movements is to dehumanize it's opponents. They put a label on their enemies to make them not human. I think being anonymous works in the same direction. It deprives you of your identity and thus makes you easier to attack.

Regards,
Lars Gardenius