[Wikimedia-l] Please, let's save the Wikipedia - from itself

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Sep 7 13:00:15 UTC 2013

> On 07.09.2013 00:12, Lars Gardenius wrote:
>   People are much less willing to attack someone who they feel they
>> know. The persons who still attack are often mentally instable and
>> easy to track and report to the police.
>>
>> Regards,
>> lars Gardenius
>>

> Are you fucking serious? I was editing under my real name for three
> years, and even now my real name is pretty easy to figure out. At one
> point, in the Russian Wikipedia, I protected an article to prevent a
> vanity editing of a lady who claimed to be a psychologist and the
> chairwoman of some union of psychologist. As a revenge, she made a
> search, found my university website, and published a piece where she
> made, on the alleged claim she is a psychologist, some very suggestive
> (and wrong) statements about my sexual orientation, my IQ, and my mental
> health. What police you are talking about? Dutch police? They would not
> care about a piece written in Russian and published in Russia. Russian
> police? They are worse than ordinary criminals, and it would be crazy to
> go to them and ask for something. Formally, there is no attack anyway,
> but the piece was still published, indexed by search engines, and
> noticed by some of the people I know.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

That is a good example. People with serious mental disability may be
obvious, but sociopaths and paranoids are not, at least not to the
authorities. They are often smart, capable, and mean; and can cause
almost anyone real grief. I suppose I should not refer to Hitler, of
course, as that would be proof that the conversation is over according to
Mike Godwin, but, in fact, he does not suggest that one should never cite
Hitler as an example of a paranoid psychopath.

Fred