[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia blog moving to WordPress.com

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:31:46 UTC 2013

David Gerard, 06/09/2013 15:22:
> On 6 September 2013 14:19, MZMcBride wrote:
>
>> This seems to focus on blog editors, but not blog visitors. If I visit
>> wordpress.com, I see that my Web browser deflects Google Analytics,
>> KissMetrics, Quantcast, and WordPress Stats. If I visit wordpress.org, I
>> see that my browser deflects Google Analytics, Quantcast, Twitter Button,
>> and Facebook Social Plugins.
>
> Yes. It's important that none of this happen.

Speaking of which, WMF got some visitor stats for the blog just a few
months ago[1] which are also publicly available in aggregate as of a few
days ago[2], using EventLogging: will the same system be usable also
from a third-party installation?
	Also, I understand that the details of the security incident mentioned
earlier are kept private, but is it something that can't be solved by
hosting the blog on some scalable cloud service such as heroku or
whatever, as we already do for wikitech-static wiki (and did for
wikitech-old wiki)?
	Of course I'm not adding anything WMF doesn't know already; just
mentioning a couple points worth addressing in future explanations of
whatever decision is made.

Nemo

[1]
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Wikimedia_budget&diff=prev&oldid=5640956>