[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 00:09:48 UTC 2013

Theo:

> "They even have a "Key
> recovery service" and it's been going on for a long while apparently, to
> the point that the NSA has been steering the release of encryption
> standards and tools. I suppose that should make the "politics of
> encryption" a bit less relevant?"

No; with "Perfect Forward Security" it is still entirely relevant, and PFS
has been discussed in the game plan for WMF (I don't recall the status of
the long term security roadmap, but it's been widely discussed on technical
lists here).

It's also entirely relevant with or without PFS for any
less-than-NSA-capable agency or third party attempting to watch WMF project
users.  UK and China may be somewhere up there in capability, for example,
but most countries won't be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_forward_secrecy