[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia blog moving to WordPress.com

Leslie Carr lcarr at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 5 18:46:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand  the blog is currently a self-hosted instance of Wordpress
> and the idea is to move the hosting to somewhere else.
> (So this is not MediaWiki vs. Wordpress, but self-hosting vs. not
> self-hosting)

Exactly!

> Best regards,
> Bence
>

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > This was definitely mentioned at Wikimania. What I understood is that
> it
> > > will be hosted externally for performance and reliability reasons, but
> > that
> > > the rest should remain the same.
> > >

> > So, A blog for one of the top 10 websites in the world is being hosted
> > externally "for performance and reliability"? - That doesn't sound right.
> > Maybe Mr. Roth & friends can clarify a bit here.

I can chime in as a tech operations person (in my official capacity).
 Currently the blog is in a partially maintained by Operations state.  In
ops, we have a few concerns - #1 is security (exemplified by our recent
security incident) of having a wordpress instance in our production
environment.  #2 is support of the blog from a technical standpoint.  We
are currently all oversubscribed with trying to keep the production sites
up and speedy.  The blog is low priority for us compared to the wiki's, and
therefore is often neglected.  When we hire about 5 more ops people, it may
be more sustainable, but right now, it's not - so it would actually be a
net positive for the Operations team to move the blog onto a dedicated
third party, and will also hopefully prevent any future security incidents.

Leslie

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821