[Wikimedia-l] Office hours for VisualEditor

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Oct 30 16:32:04 UTC 2013

* Risker wrote:
>Just to clarify, since 0000 UTC is a confusing time for most of us...is
>that the minute after 2359 UTC on November 2 (i.e., 7 hours after the first
>session), or is it the minute after 2359 UTC on November 3?
>
>I've seen it used both ways so I just want to be clear.

Could you elaborate on this confusion and where you think it is common?
The 24 hour clock divides a day into 24 hours from 0 to 23 starting at
midnight. 23:59 is 23 hours and 59 minutes after 00:00 on the same day.

  2013-11-03T00:00Z --+
  2013-11-03T00:01Z   |
  ...                 |
  2013-11-03T00:59Z   |-- November 3rd
  2013-11-03T01:00Z   |
  2013-11-03T23:59Z --+
  2013-11-04T00:00Z

The minute after 2013-11-03T23:59Z is on November 4th. I do understand
that when setting a deadline you are better off giving the end of a day
as deadline so the time is up when the day is over, otherwise people see
a contradiction and get confused, but beyond that I've not encountered
this particular confusion.