[Wikimedia-l] Overloaded with CentralNotices

Romaine Wiki romaine_wiki at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 15:49:52 UTC 2013

On the Dutch Wikipedia users have indicated that they perceive the number of Global Notices too much and the more that happens the more users will start to add code to their preferences to fully block every notice as they are so tired of them.

The current load of negative feedback about the banners is currently coming up after the especially the FDC banners

Every week a new notice is considered too much.

I already noticed earlier that there is also some kind of banner blindness for many users: they get a banner on pages but do not look at them any more just as it are adds.

This time several users got a notice in English what was perceived disturbing.

Also they experience getting banners as not interesting for Wikipedia.

As bonus I personally and other users have experienced that clicking away a banner made the banner appear again within the hour visiting other pages. I had that at least four times on a project, on several projects. Re-appeasring after being clicked away is useless and disturbing.

Also it is annoying that I need to click the same banners away on each project I visit, many users visit Wikipedia, but also work on Commons, Wikidata, etc.

I think the the CentralNotice should be redesigned or the CentralNotice will loose it effectiveness. Something is really going wrong.

Romaine

(tech ambassador for nl Wikipedia)