[Wikimedia-l] New access to non-public information policy, re-ID requirements and data retention

James Alexander jalexander at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 28 07:58:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Michelle Paulson
<mpaulson at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to let you know that I have posted a
> response<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Access_to_nonpublic_information_policy#Rethinking_the_access_policy:_Response_to_recent_feedback>to
> the recent feedback we have received and very much look forward to
> hearing your thoughts on the ideas proposed.  I also wanted to thank you
> all for the feedback over the past week and a half.  It really helped us
> understand your concerns and go back to the drawing board -- this
> discussion has really reemphasized the value of community consultations
> periods to me.  In the end, we want to do what works for the community and
> the movement.
>
> Best,
>
> Michelle

Hi guys,

In addition to the continuing discussion Michelle started above on
whether we should check ID or not the legal team has also started
responding with thoughts and some options on other suggestions and
questions (such as retention time and keeping the data instead of the
id). In all of these they’ve asked for thoughts if you haven’t checked
the page since early/mid last week it would be great if you could
check it again to weigh in. They will also be continuing to respond to
unanswered questions and concerns so please don’t think your specific
concern is being ignored.

We have also reached out to all OTRS agents to make sure they are
aware of a discussion on whether they should be included in the policy
(currently only OTRS admins are). That conversation is ongoing at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Access_to_nonpublic_information_policy#OTRS_volunteers
and could, again, use more comments whether you’re a member of OTRS or
not.

James

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy