[Wikimedia-l] New access to non-public information policy, re-ID requirements and data retention

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 15:37:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Florence Devouard <anthere9 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> As for I, I have totally given up with the idea of preservation of
> confidential data when the US are somehow involved (if the NSA is already
> involved in recording German president phone conversations or French
> diplomatic department communications, who are we to hope that our every
> steps can be private anyway ?).

This bit is extraneous and unnecessary because (a) no one is asking the WMF
to hide details from the NSA, who let's agree couldn't care less about that
bit of data and (b) anything the NSA is capturing in Germany or France was
already quite certainly being captured by the governments of Germany and
France (or really, both).

That said, I agree with your three main points and think the WMF legal team
should consider them very strongly as they bring their failed policy
proposal back to the drawing board.