[Wikimedia-l] letter from the FDC to the WMF

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 12:52:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Craig Franklin
<cfranklin at halonetwork.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been aware of this brewing, but can only say that I'm pleased to
> finally reach the surface.  There is no good reason for part of the WMF's
> budget to be privileged or quarantined from the same scrutiny that the rest
> of movement spending is subjected to.  I therefore urge Sue and the WMF to
> accept the FDC's proposal in full.
>
> Regards,
> Craig Franklin
> (personal view only)

Except that from both a practical and legal perspective the authority
of the FDC comes from the WMF; this is the fundamental problem with
having it purport to "review" the Foundation's spending and activity.
If the Foundation's Board disagrees with the FDC decision on funding
the WMF, it has not just the option but the legal duty to overrule it.
The most likely outcome, then, is that the FDC functions as a rubber
stamp for the WMF - perhaps with cosmetic adjustments or changes for
appearances sake.