[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Education] How to force to enable Visual Editor

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 16 21:51:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>wrote:

> This is a really interesting idea - not just for VE but for other
> new-user tools as well.
>
> CCing to Steven, who's been doing some work with the signup interface
> - is this sort of hook technically practical?
>
> Andrew.

Yes, technically speaking it is probably not difficult to set VisualEditor
opt-in on the basis of a URL parameter. How/if we should implement it that
way, I leave up to James and the VE team.

To be honest, if we think VE is more advantageous for new editors, we
should be delivering by default for all of them, not selectively. The
design team has been working on concepts for a design where the switch
between wikitext and visual editing is done after hitting Edit, allowing us
to consolidate the current confusing situation with two buttons. This is
probably the most elegant solution. It makes room for individual users
potentially setting their default edit mode to one or the other, reduces
extra button clutter, etc.

--
Steven Walling,
Product Manager