[Wikimedia-l] It's time to reclaim the community logo

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Thu Oct 10 08:27:45 UTC 2013

Thanks Dariusz for your wise words which I fully agree upon.

I my understanding this issue has three underlaying aspects:
*A legal technical one. What is the real meaning and implication of a
"collective membership mark". A straight forward issue
*The spread among us community members between idealists and pragmatics.
I see this difference being most manifested when we discuss  protection
of articles often being vandalized. And here I believe it is a strength
for the totality that we have both group among ourselves - it leads to
more balanced decisions (but also often after heated debates)
* An old latent suspicion between "WMF/Board" and community
member/Chapters. This is an old story and where we have lately seen some
signs his "tension" was decreasing, our interaction and trust in each
other becoming better. And sometimes this tension  is seen to be between
Order and Anarchy, but I do not buy this interpretation. We should all
in the movement actively try to live up to our motto "Assume good faith"
at the same time as we of course should continue to discuss constructive
our complex intraorganizational issues that turns up

I feel real, real sad when I perceive this issue, which is only an
internal issue with all competence and input being within the movement,
is turned into being handled outside the movement, inside a official
legal framework. Even more sad knowing all key persons involved in this
issue to be competent, very important to the movement and equally
dedicated to our common vision/mission.

I have no advice to give how to get the issue resolved  or how to
proceed or how to act, but urge all involve all involved parts and other
actors within the movement to act so this issue can be taken back from
"the outside world" and be bought back to the movement to be resolved
among ourselves.

Anders