[Wikimedia-l] Monobook was optimised for editors, Vector is more balanced between readers and edtors

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Sun Nov 24 23:59:16 UTC 2013

A/B testing major interface changes is very difficult. (I think we had
this same discussion over VisualEditor).

For example, in order to make the results comparable, you'll have to
update all the help pages & documentation to deal with both styles
("why doesn't my screen look like that?"), otherwise one becomes more
difficult to use & will have consequent drop-out rates. You also have
to try and deal with the fact that all readers (and indeed editors)
without accounts will use Vector, and will be immediately confused by
why it looks different once logged in - at which point many will get
frustrated.

A/B testing is good for small things like the login form, where it
works great, but won't always work for everything...

Andrew.