[Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Nov 21 06:31:22 UTC 2013

Tim Starling wrote:
>On 21/11/13 11:38, MZMcBride wrote:
>>
>>No subsequent major world event (e.g., the 2004 Indian Ocean
>> earthquake and tsunami) has had its own Wikimedia memorial wiki
>> established and it's very unlikely that we would ever set up another.
>
>Sure, but you can't undo it, once it is done. Maybe it was stupid to
>take on this responsibility, but deleting the site is not an ethical
>way to rectify the mistake.

Your comments reminded me of one of my favorite quotes (immortalized as a
quip in our Bugzilla installation at <https://bugs.wikimedia.org/>):
"creating a wiki is like creating a baby: yes you should have a good
reason to create one, but if you don't for whatever reason, you should
have an _extra_ good reason for killing one." :-)

MZMcBride