[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Nov 20 19:52:53 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 10:52 AM, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> Perhaps another way of putting it is to ask whether the
> encyclopedia-building community is the means or the ends.  To my eyes,
> having "more contributors" is not valuable unless it has "better
> encyclopedia" as a direct consequence.
I believe the mission is sufficiently large in scope that having more
people involved is fundamentally desirable in general. Although to
circle back to an earlier point in the discussion, that doesn't require
that we accept involvement that is counterproductive. Maintaining our
standards is a way of acknowledging that the number of people involved
is not itself the end goal.

--Michael Snow