[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 19:11:33 UTC 2013

On 20 November 2013 18:52, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:

> Perhaps another way of putting it is to ask whether the
> encyclopedia-building community is the means or the ends.  To my eyes,
> having "more contributors" is not valuable unless it has "better
> encyclopedia" as a direct consequence.

I think it's not a sufficient condition, but that it is a necessary one.

Think LibreOffice and their Easy Hacks list, for example - simple
things a C++ coder could achieve even if unfamiliar with the (huge,
hideous) code base:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks

I know the standard en:wp {{welcome}} message used to suggest things
that needed attention ... though frankly, many of them don't get
attention because they're stultifyingly boring (most things in
[[Category:Cleanup]] are never leaving it).

- d.