[Wikimedia-l] FDC staff proposal assessments for 2013-2014 Round 1 are posted!

Fæ faewik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 12:50:48 UTC 2013

Thank you for the hard work that has gone into the detailed
assessments and reports.

I like the look of the assessment framework and the thinking that has
gone on behind it. If we continue to refine this assessment process,
it would be neat if a hierarchical breakdown of the assessment model
and then the detailed workings of each assessment could be openly
published. In this way specific areas of improvement could be quite
narrowly defined and then compared on a year by year basis as changes
are put into action.

Beyond the numbers, I can see a lot of value in the sensible
qualitative feedback given, including "soft" areas such as community
issues. I hope that chapter board members and employees take some time
to seriously reflect on the the feedback for other chapters, as well
as their own specific risks and issues highlighted.

Cheers,
Fae

On 9 November 2013 16:37, Winifred Olliff <wolliff at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Greetings to all:
>
> We wanted to let you know that the staff proposal assessments have been
> posted on Meta for all proposals that were submitted in 2013-2014 Round 1:
> * The proposal assessments are each linked to from the "Proposals" page for
> this round:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Proposals/2013-2014_round1<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Proposals>
> * All proposal assessments for this round are also found in this category
> on Meta:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:FDC_Staff_proposal_assessments_for_2013-2014_round1
>
> You may also visit an overview of the financial information presented in
> these proposals, which includes information for all proposals in this
> round:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Proposals/2013-2014_round1/Financial_overview
> .
>
> The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to
> allocate Wikimedia movement funds to support an organization’s overall
> annual plan to achieve mission objectives. We encourage you to visit the
> portal if you would like more information about the FDC process, or would
> like to discuss the process: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal.
>
> In brief, staff assessments are but one of many inputs into the FDC
> process. With this round's assessments we (FDC staff) have included a more
> detailed explanation of our methodology. The assessments reflect the work
> of FDC staff who read the proposals, review past and current reports,
> receive internal input from WMF Finance, Programs, Legal, and Grantmaking,
> and consider a portfolio view across all proposals in this round. They do
> not reflect the analysis or views of the FDC or any of its individual
> members. The FDC will meet from 17 November to 22 November to deliberate on
> these proposals, and will consider these staff proposal assessments along
> with many other inputs into the FDC process. For more information about the
> purpose of these assessments and how they fit into the FDC process overall,
> please visit:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Framework_for_the_Creation_and_Initial_Operation_of_the_FDC#Process_overview
> .
>
> We welcome discussion about individual assessments on the discussion page
> of each assessment, or discussion about the process overall on the FDC
> portal: *https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Comments
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Comments>*.
>
> Best regards from FDC staff!
>
> Winifred Olliff
> Grants Administrator
> Wikimedia Foundation

faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm
Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.