[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Become a member of the Affiliations Committee!

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 16:52:45 UTC 2013

// For translated versions, please consult
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Call_for_Candidates_2014
 //

Dear all,

The Affiliations Committee [1], the committee that is responsible for
guiding volunteers in establishing Chapters, User Groups and Thematic
Organizations  and approving them when they are ready is looking for new
members.

The main focus of AffCom is to guide groups of volunteers in forming
affiliates. We make sure that the groups are large enough to be viable (and
advise them on how to get bigger), review bylaws for compliance with the
requirements and best practices, and advise the Board of the Wikimedia
Foundation on issues connected to Chapters, Thematic Organizations and User
Groups.

This requires communication with volunteers all over the World, negotiating
skills and cultural sensitivity and the ability to understand legal texts.
 We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our membership.

Key skills/experience that we are looking for in candidate members, are
typically:
is
* Excitement by the challenge of helping to empower groups of volunteers
worldwide
* Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic
process
* Readiness to participate in (movement roles) political discussions on the
role and future of affiliates, models of affiliations, and similar questions
* 5 hours per week availability[2], and the time to participate in a
monthly ~2 hour phone meeting
* International orientation
* Very good communication skills in English
* Ability to work and communicate with other cultures, languages andcultures
* Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the WMF
* Knowledge of different  legal systems, experience in community building
and organising is a plus
* Communication skills in other languages are a major plus
* Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus

In 2012 new types of affiliations were introduced and the role of the
Committee has increased in guiding through volunteers towards affiliation
models that empower them to further our mission, and making sure these
models meet the needs of the volunteers and the movement. We are looking
for new people to help, who are not afraid of the workload and are
motivated by helping other volunteers come together forming communities
that further our mission around the world.

Members are usually selected every twelve months for staggered two year
terms. The applications will be voted on by the current members not seeking
re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's
members, advisers, WMF staff and board liaisons based on the above
membership criteria. A final decision will be made by the end of the year,
with new members expected to join on or around 1 January 2014.

If you are interested, You can send your applications with your full name,
contact data (e-mail address, wiki username), relevant experience and
motivation letter to our vice-chair Carlos Colina at jewbask AT
wikimedia.org.ve by December 5, 2013. You will get a confirmation that your
application came through.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me or Carlos. We
are happy to chat or have a phone/VoIP call with anyone about our work, if
this helps them decide to apply.

Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are
interested.[3]

Best regards,
Bence Damokos
Chair,
Affiliations Committee

 [1]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee (please follow
the links and familiarize yourself with our work)
 [2]: Our member standards of participation are at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Standard_of_participation_%E2%80%93_September_2012
[3] A translatable version of this call is avaliable at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Call_for_Candidates_2014,
please help translate and distribute it among your networks!