[Wikimedia-l] endangered languages project

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri May 24 18:26:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Mathieu Stumpf <
psychoslave at culture-libre.org> wrote:

> Le 2013-05-23 19:03, phoebe ayers a écrit :
>
>  Perhaps of interest to many Wikimedians: the Endangered Languages project
>> recently launched a new layout, making it easier to find and submit
>> information on languages that are in the "catalog of endangered languages"
>> that they are building. Worth a look.
>> http://www.**endangeredlanguages.com/<http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/>
>>
>> -- phoebe
>>

> Thank you for the link.
>
> It seems to be the result of a realy huge work! Do you know if their
> solution to create interactive map is free software? I would love to have
> such a tool within wikimedia. To my mind, it would be really useful for
> geographic and historical articles. Having a tool that would enable to
> "watch events propagation through time and localisation on a map" would be
> awesome, and it seems to me that their software is almost all that.

Hi Mathieu,

I don't know anything about this project beyond what's on the site -- I
just ran across it. From what I can tell the user-submitted language data
is CC-by but unfortunately they seem to be using Google Maps for the map
interface.

-- phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *