[Wikimedia-l] AffComs $40,000 Hong Kong junket

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri May 17 15:22:03 UTC 2013

Thank you Bence, for your thoughtful replies to this thread, here and on Meta.

Lodewijk writes:
> I think there are two relevant discussions to be had: First of all,
> whether there should be an AffCom meeting at all.

I've seen excellent work come out of long-form committee meetings.
Though these don't have to be entirely in person.

> The second relevant question is, in my opinion, whether the WMF travel
> policy is good, proportional etc.

Better: "should there be a class divide between 'WMF' and 'other' lodging"?

I think: not.

Case in point: we often have a ~8-fold difference in price between the
high and low end of 'official' lodging at Wikimania.  We could reduce
this a lot.  Or could provide extra awesome services for those staying
in dorms & hostels.

> another criticism is that it should be equalized for all Wikimedia-
> sponsored trips... last time, I believe it was Sue who mentioned
> that this would simply result in much less travel and participation.

Less travel need not mean less participation.  Take the money you were
going to spend on jet fuel and hotel salaries, and invest it in
videoconf infrastructure (some mix of software, better cameras and
mics, and even timeshare access to video meeting rooms in hundreds of
cities around the world). The whole movement would benefit from that,
not only those with time to fly.

Bence writes:
> a number of committee members have expressed the need to examine
> whether they could stay in accommodation shared by other attendees

I hope some of you do.  Then you'll get to hang out with me. :-)
Hotels tend to be boring in comparison anyway.

But I am sure anything you choose within the WMF guidelines will be approved.

SJ