[Wikimedia-l] movement blog, not WMF blog, was: Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Mon May 13 14:40:21 UTC 2013

wow, what a weekend to go camping :)

I'll also reply to Casey and Alex on the other thread, but I was the one
who changed their user rights from "Editor" to "Contributor," which in our
WordPress setup limits some of their abilities, like approving comments,
uploading files and editing posts written by other people, among others. I
was cleaning up old emails from previous WMF Communications
interns/volunteers, staff members and others I hadn't seen active in the
two years I've been here. It was easy to see who was former staff (@
wikimedia.org emails), but not as much with volunteers who had been given
access in the past. I should have been more careful and I'm happy to
reinstate "Editor" rights for anyone else I inadvertently moved (and
upset).

I'm sorry Casey and Alex for the confusion.

I'm not the right person to say it categorically, but as far as I'm aware,
there haven't been any non-staff "Admin" level users on the blog, at least
for some time (again, I've only been at the Foundation for two years and
I'm qualifying this statement in case there were exceptions). As I
understand it, because the blog is on the cluster and it could potentially
be a security concern, there aren't volunteer admins. Right now the admins
are the 5 people in "Communications manager" positions at the Foundation,
plus Jay Walsh and a bunch of Ops folks. I don't imagine that will be
changing, but that's above my level of understanding security and our other
sites.

As mentioned, if I bungled anyone else's permissions, please let me know.

thanks,
Matthew