[Wikimedia-l] movement blog, not WMF blog, was: Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 13 14:54:23 UTC 2013

On 13 May 2013 15:40, Matthew Roth <mroth at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'm not the right person to say it categorically, but as far as I'm aware,
> there haven't been any non-staff "Admin" level users on the blog, at least
> for some time (again, I've only been at the Foundation for two years and
> I'm qualifying this statement in case there were exceptions). As I
> understand it, because the blog is on the cluster and it could potentially
> be a security concern, there aren't volunteer admins. Right now the admins
> are the 5 people in "Communications manager" positions at the Foundation,
> plus Jay Walsh and a bunch of Ops folks. I don't imagine that will be
> changing, but that's above my level of understanding security and our other
> sites.

This is about right. "Admin" in WordPress is much, much more powerful
than "admin" in MediaWiki, much more like "system administrator", and
I really didn't have any need for the power to, e.g., add and remove
plugins. I can approve/trash/spam comments, though, and when I do log
into the blog that's what I use it for.

- d.