[Wikimedia-l] movement blog, not WMF blog, was: Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Mon May 13 11:53:10 UTC 2013

On 13 May 2013 12:42, Tilman Bayer <tbayer at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> By the way, I am unclear, was the email you are quoting extensively
>> from, rather than summarizing, a public correspondence, or are you
>> choosing to publish it now, on a permanently and publicly archived
>> email list, two year later?
>>
>> Fae
>
> Hi Fae,
>
> I believe you may be confusing me and Huib here (perhaps because of
> the similarity of our volunteer user names?). It was not me who posted
> the content of a private email to this list without the sender's
> permission. Only after this had already happened I corrected the
> tampered quotation of what I had written, because this silent omission
> greatly distorted the sense and context of the divulged email.
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

No, I don't think I am confused about the order of events.

Even if Huib posted some of a past private correspondence, I would not
expect trusted staff members to start publishing the rest of that
correspondence from two years ago using their official email account
and therefore representing the Wikimedia Foundation in this action.

It is not that hard to respond to, or correct, perceived misreporting
of the facts, without cutting and pasting from past private
correspondence. Should you have (privately) first asked for permission
to publish extracts from the private correspondence, I suspect you
would have been given permission anyway.

Thanks for your prompt reply on this,
Fae
--
faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm