[Wikimedia-l] movement blog, not WMF blog, was: Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Mon May 13 11:00:27 UTC 2013

Hi Huib,

thanks for correcting your earlier claim in the main thread that you
were never notified about this kind of thing (although unfortunately
this correction comes only after your claim already contributed to
leaving MZ "a little speechless" and feeling "more and more ...
distanced from" Wikimedia).

I can confirm that this is the text of an email I sent you on November
16, 2011 when removing you from what was originally the blog comment
moderators list - with one crucial difference however:

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Huib,
>
> we are currently reorganizing the internal communication about the
> Foundation's blog, and in the process have just removed your subscription.
> The list is going to see more confidential information in the future, and
> we want to focus membership more on people who need to know it.

Curiously, here you left out one sentence from my 2011 email:

"And while I don't want to pass judgment over your work on the
projects, the fact that you are currently blocked on Meta etc. makes
it difficult to justify keeping your access at the moment."

> I want to
> emphasize that this has nothing to do with your conduct as list member, and
> that your interest in and support for the WMF blog (e.g. tweeting new
> posts) is appreciated. You can still send messages to the list, they will
> just need to go through moderation.
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Movement Communications
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB
>

> Strange that the blog is "internal" communications.

is not a public mailing list? It is my understanding that it was
originally created solely as a channel of notifications about new blog
comments that needed to be moderated; these obviously should not be
public. Later there were efforts to make it more into a venue of
internal coordination about the blog, although these did not quite pan
out.

> Even stranger is that Erik asked to create my account, he was completly ok
> with it. So I'm not sure what the information on the blog is so secret that
> no volunteers can see it...

Actually, you were the only volunteer removed at that point in 2011 -
there were at least four volunteers who I think are still on the list.
As indicated in the part of my email that you chose to quietly
suppress, a main reason to handle your case differently was that you
were at that time indefinitely blocked by the community on more than
one wiki (to cite the block log entry from nlwiki: "Abusing multiple
accounts: general project disruption and cross-wiki disruption; trying
to evade bans on other projects, running unapproved bots and so on.
block per RfC and cu evidence." )

The fact that you are now trying to make your case by posting tampered
emails reinforces my confidence that it was the right decision to
remove you from this position of trust.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)