[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Craig Franklin cfranklin at halonetwork.net
Mon May 13 08:10:57 UTC 2013

Upon reading Gayle's response, and reflecting on some of the comments I
made on Saturday night, I have come to the conclusion that some of the
things I said may have come across as a little harsh and condescending.
 While that was my intention (my point was that "sometimes the community
can bite, so you have to watch your fingers while interacting with them!"),
I think that what I said could quite easily have come across as
patronising.  This wasn't my intent, but I sincerely and unreservedly
apologise to Gayle if this was how it was taken and if my words caused
anyone any distress.

Later, after I have dinner, I'm going to respond with a post to analyse
what went wrong and offer some positive suggestions to how I think these
situations can be avoided in the future, but the positive suggestion I am
going to take for myself at this point is Florence's excellent advice to
step back and let people explain themselves *before* I jump down their
throat.

Cheers,
Craig