[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Mon May 13 08:02:41 UTC 2013

On 13 May 2013 08:18, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM, James Alexander <jamesofur at gmail.com>wrote:
> That's a bit relative, James.  The active folk on this mailing list make
> for a pretty good cross section of thoughts/feelings/opinions of the
> movement.  I've refrained from this discussion and will continue to do so
> on specifics, because it's politics and that's not something I do on
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

On this, I have watched this thread with interest. I started following
it when sitting in a chapter board meeting all day on Saturday. From
the outset I knew I would not want to make any specific comment and
get sucked into another dramah, I have too big a pile of these already
anyway.

There are lessons to be learned here. I continue to hope that the WMF
can find a way of learning from these experiences, particularly if
they set a long term pattern, in addition to answering the specific
questions about this incident. For me, I certainly have learned that
for the other organizations I am involved with that control wikis and
have the wonderful luxury of working through the good will of unpaid
volunteer admins and bureaucrats, the policies that apply should only
change with careful and recorded consultation, even if I am personally
sure that there are very clear legal or excellent good and important
or urgent governance reasons to make changes.

For those on Monday morning finding a little egg left on their faces,
perhaps it is time to brew some freshly ground coffee, make some hot
buttered toast and turn this into a productive breakfast? Stay mellow.
;-)

PS I'm not attempting to claim any high ground here, so before anyone
points it out, yes I'm pretty darn flawed myself. Sometimes I do learn
from mistakes though, I have a lifetime of foolishness to regret and
learn from.

Cheers,
Fae
--