[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun May 12 20:59:38 UTC 2013

MZMcBride, 12/05/2013 22:45:
> Why did you feel compelled to act here when it wasn't your decision? Was
> there something preventing Gayle from doing this herself?

Be honest, if Gayle had done this herself you would have said that maybe
she hadn't read the documentation on Special:UserRights carefully and it
was a mistake. :)

> It's pretty strange to involve yourself in this decision (that wasn't
> yours) and then turn around and say "well why are you pointing at me?!"
> You were raised in a wiki culture, just as I was, where an individual is
> responsible for the actions of his or her account. You obviously felt an
> obligation to act here. What remains unclear is why.

To me it's very clear, nobody wanted to take responsibility or blame for
the decision(*) so they let someone who's going out of town take the
blame, someone in another department press the button, and the top
management cover everything with flimsy rhetoric. Next time they could
do better, the act could be executed before a longer holiday or be
spread across more departments (a third person to send the notification
emails, or a deflag squad of 14 staffers as with fusillading). But no
worries, the WMF is still a young org and is learning.

Nemo

(*) Which may have been discussed for several weeks, as Nathan pointed out.