[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia in blacklist trouble again

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Wed May 8 15:52:24 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I think it should be noted that the Russian Wikipedia is having more and
more problems with the state-maintained Internet blacklist (an idea that
they heavily opposed, and which made them go on strike last July).

Apparently, the infamous "cannabis smoking" article was put back on the
said blacklist two days ago (May 6)[1] due to a decision of the Federal
Drug Control Service which doesn't like the current wording of the
article. The blacklist now includes fifteen (15) articles related to
drugs and suicide: thirteen (13) from the Russian, and two (2) from the
English Wikipedia[2].

This is the second time that the Russian Wikipedia is having trouble
with the blacklist in the past 30 days, something that has unfortunately
been missed over the DCRI controversy that occurred in the first days of
April.

<shameless promotion>
For those of you who haven't heard of this yet, I prepared a short
summary at <http://twkozlowski.net/roskomnadzor-strikes-back/>; the
previous episode of the "Wikipedia vs. Roskomnadzor" story is described
at <http://twkozlowski.net/wikipedia-censorship-attempts/>.
</shameless promotion>

I'm quite sure that it is a mere coincidence that the Russian and French
controversies occurred around the same time, but it's nevertheless a bit
worrying to have to watch our communities being forced to edit the
contents of articles to please the authorities & take them off blacklists.