[Wikimedia-l] "Adopt a page"

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 19:51:10 UTC 2013

On Saturday, March 30, 2013, Strainu wrote:

> Guys, I think you're reading more into it than it is. When you're adopting
> an animal you don't  get to decide what and how much it gets to eat.
> Similarly adopting a wiki page wouldn't mean you pay for having a say on
> the content. At the bottom end of the reward scale you could get a badge
> you could put on YOUR website, without having your name on Wikipedia at
> all.
>
> I'm not necessarely in favour of this idea but i wanted to see if it's been
> discussed before. I guess that if it has, people havebeen confusing this
> idea with paid editing.

Big +1 to this comment.

There's actually plenty of even more neutral ways to do this IMO, and none
of them have anything to do with promoting the donor or paid editing. For
example: a simple count of how many readers donated in support of this
article. "This article sponsored by 70 Wikipedia readers like you.
Contribute today by editing or donating." Or something like that.

Anyway this discussion should be on a public wiki, ideally Meta, and we
should invite Megan, Zack, and the rest of the fundraising team, not to
mention the wider community.