[Wikimedia-l] "Adopt a page"

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 09:46:47 UTC 2013

As a fundraising tactic, I think this is a good idea, but it is hard
to define and put a price on it. I would guess you would charge more
to sponsor high-profile articles, the way a parks commission can
advertise donor names on park benches, where the more prominently
placed ones get a higher "price". That said, does the sponsorship only
apply to the page in one language? And how long does the sponsorship
stay with the page? Forever? That doesn't seem right. Putting the
sponsor's name visibly on the page can also be confusing, because most
readers will assume sponsor=writer, and this is incorrect. You could
create a donor's list though that links to the pages and have the
sponsor names listed there with the year of their sponsorship, with
each year an update possible with the amount paid (or amount block in
a scheme of bronze, silver, gold). This way high profile pages could
have more sponsors. With the sponsor amounts as a guide, individual
Wikipedia contributors may apply for a mini-grant to cover costs of
source books, etc for future work based on past work in these pages.