[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Toolserver-l] [TS logo] Fwd: Free as in Wikimedia Foundation

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 00:32:39 UTC 2013

Heather Ford wrote:
> We're all, in our own way, trying to help Wikimedia grow and flourish. The truth
> is that we have different ideas about how to get there.

+1.  Thanks to all who commented on this thread.

Tomasz Ganicz writes:
> this situation is unclear at the moment. I think this
> is a job for WMF Board of Trustees to clarify the situation - for
> example by excluding MediaWiki and community logos from the rules
> forbiding creation of derivative logos and  "Visual Identity Guidelines".

Agreed, more clarity is needed here.  Certainly the community logos
should be exempt from such restrictions.  It would be great if all
marks could be flexible in this regard -- at least as flexible as
Google is with their Doodles! -- but I understand there are unresolved
questions about how best to handle this.  Discussion about this should
continue at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Logo
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Logo

Lodewijk writes:
> we should probably... get a clear overview of what exactly are all the
> benefits and downsides of a registered trademark versus an
> unregistered one.

This can also happen on the meta talk page for the community logo.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Luis Villa <lvilla at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I've posted a much more extensive discussion of each of these points (and
> several others Nathan and other people have raised) on the talk page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Logo#Follow_up_on_discussion_here_and_on_wikimedia-l
>
> In the interests of keeping things in one place, I'd ask that we move the
> discussion there.

And thank you, Luis for this thoughtful and thorough update.  I've
also posted the above comments on that page.

SJ