[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Toolserver-l] [TS logo] Fwd: Free as in Wikimedia Foundation

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 20 21:10:04 UTC 2013

Hi, Nathan-

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I won't argue the fact that there is value in protecting the
> iconography of the Wikimedia movement from abuse. What I argue with is
> the approach of the legal department

You're right that we could have communicated this better, and I apologize
for that on behalf of legal.

> If you're familiar with my posts to this list, I'm not normally on the
> anti-WMF side of debates (for instance, wrt WCA). But when they make a
> boob move, I don't think its bad faith to point it out.

I agree, and I'm glad your email gives the legal team the same benefit of
the doubt.

I've posted a much more extensive discussion of each of these points (and
several others Nathan and other people have raised) on the talk page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Logo#Follow_up_on_discussion_here_and_on_wikimedia-l

In the interests of keeping things in one place, I'd ask that we move the
discussion there.

Thanks-
Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*