[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] open positions at WMF

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 18:57:12 UTC 2013

On 20 March 2013 02:06, K. Peachey <p858snake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org> wrote:

>> We're really interested in wiki-fying the blog at some point too, or
>> at least marrying more of the technologies. I'd love to us to use a
>> wiki-based system, but that's a bit further down the pipeline. I'd
>> like to see us incorporate SUL so Wikimedia project usernames could be
>> used for comments and posting. I think that will be a question of
>> using our very limited resources, but I'm super interested in that.

> MediaWiki + LQT (or the likes) for the comments and you are basically
> there. In addition you have less to worry about in regards to the
> WordpRess exploits (as pointed out by Daniel) and you open up to a
> whole new ecocycle of developers we already have.

Cobbling together blog software is a one-man project; having a
versatile, well-maintained and mature blog engine with ubiquitous
third-party support is another matter. You could turn WordPress into
an encyclopedia CMS too, but it would be well below optimum.

WordPress has all manner of problems (I am painfully aware of this, I
have to hit it with a hammer in my day job) but it is basically the
best available for the job. MediaWiki has all manner of problems (you
are painfully aware of this, I'm certain) but, similarly, there's
nothing better for the job.

It's possible we could do better with something adapted, but not from
MediaWiki. For one thing, WordPress's visual editor works ...

- d.

- d.