[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] open positions at WMF

Terry Chay tchay at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 20 18:37:52 UTC 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:06 PM, "K. Peachey" <p858snake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> We're really interested in wiki-fying the blog at some point too, or
>> at least marrying more of the technologies. I'd love to us to use a
>> wiki-based system, but that's a bit further down the pipeline. I'd
>> like to see us incorporate SUL so Wikimedia project usernames could be
>> used for comments and posting. I think that will be a question of
>> using our very limited resources, but I'm super interested in that.
>
> MediaWiki + LQT (or the likes) for the comments and you are basically
> there. In addition you have less to worry about in regards to the
> WordpRess exploits (as pointed out by Daniel) and you open up to a
> whole new ecocycle of developers we already have.

That's an interesting idea (after all, WordPress and MediaWiki's are redundant CMSs), and it would fix some annoying issues of the blog workflow (signon for commenting/publishing, and the redundant cycle comm takes on drafting on wiki and translating for WordPress), but it sounds like a larger scope of work than a temporary WordPress contractor (and a longer review cycle). I can't commit that much resources out of Features for anything beyond reviews of tweaks to the blog and Communications budget for developing this is very modest.

Are you suggesting that we add this to next fiscal year's plan and repurpose one of our teams for this? Right now I'm assuming the priorities of Visual Editor, Parsoid, Editor Engagement (Echo, Flow), and E3 take precedence and are pretty much set well into 2013-14. If I had extra room, I'd probably prioritize global profile and affiliations/wikiprojects support moving the blog to MediaWiki. :-(

terry chay  최태리
Director of Features Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation
“Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”

p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
m: +1 (408) 480-8902
e: tchay at wikimedia.org
i: http://terrychay.com/