[Wikimedia-l] Students for Free Culture annual conference April 20-21

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 21:36:43 UTC 2013

Students for Free Culture will be having its annual conference at New York
Law School<https://www.google.com/maps?q=new+york+law+school&hl=en&sll=40.6%2097488,-73.979681&sspn=0.69759,1.233215&hq=new+york+law+school&t=m&z=15>on
April 20-21st!

The Students for Free Culture Conference is an annual gathering of student
and non-student activists, thinkers, and innovators who are dedicated to
advancing discussions on technology, law, and public policy. Through panels
and keynote speakers, FCX 2013 will focus on current issues in intellectual
property law, open access to educational resources, maker culture, and
technology policy. Through workshops, the conference will revisit the core
pillars of the free culture movement, examine the success stories from our
movement, and identify new ways in which Students for Free Culture can
advocate for a more free, open, and participatory digital environment.

For more information about the conference, visit the conference
website<http://fcx2013.org/fcxabout.html>
.

Registration is open <http://fcx2013.eventbrite.com>!

Through the generosity of our sponsors, Students for Free
Culture<http://freeculture.org/>is once again able to offset student
travel costs for this year’s
conference in NYC. Our first priority is to provide funding to at least one
student from every active chapter in the organization – but funding is
available to _all_ student activists and leaders who would like to attend
FCX2013.

If you can’t afford the cost of traveling to NYC next month, please do not
hesitate to fill out this form to request travel
funding<http://bit.ly/fcx2013_travelfunding>.
We have some money and we want to give it to you.

If you have friends at schools that do not currently have an active SFC
chapter but you think they should be at the conference, please pass along this
link <http://bit.ly/fcx2013_travelfunding> to them, too. Sometimes
attending the conference is just the spark that someone needs to get out
there and start a new chapter on their campus!

P.S. This is a great group of activists very closely aligned with the wiki
ethos, and I have been proud to work with them directly on many Wikimedia
NYC projects.  There are also planning a Wiki-Workshop on better use of
Wikipedia at universities for one of the days, so please look forward to
that! (I very much regret I won't be able to join due to the overlapping
International Wikimedia/Chapters Conference also that weekend.)

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedia NYC