[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia (Foundation) endowment

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Mon Mar 18 09:33:53 UTC 2013

I don't know about dams. Railways and nuclear plans - probably not so much,
because of the technology changes, but in any case these are all good
examples, which show that it is the stability/volatility of the environment
that determines strategic planning horizon.

It is not about being a business or not  - it is about basics of strategic
planning. Comparisons for endowments undoubtedly should be made to
non-business organizations, but the horizon for strategic planning is not
determined as much by the profit/non-profit nature of our organization, but
rather by the nature of the industry we're in. It just does not make much
sense to create strategies and visions 100 years into the future in our
case.

best,

dj

--