[Wikimedia-l] Setting up a Wikimedia Trust

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 14:44:07 UTC 2013

Nathan, 15/03/2013 15:24:
> Nemo, can you explain what the benefits would be? What I see is a
> massive future headache over bureaucracy and roles,

Actually it seems the opposite to me, as it would reduce the confusion
as regards the innumerable and contradictory responsibilities the WMF
has, rather than adding another (huge) one as an endowment.

> and no tangible
> benefit to separating a "Trust" from the actual ownership and
> management of the Wikimedia projects. I read the meta page, but don't
> see an outline of why this would be a good idea.

It's a good idea if you try and it works... (What was the benefit of
discussing new affiliation models, fundraising models, FDC framework,
with countless 180° turns from the WMF, for years? We'll see in the future.)
The benefit of being a random community member is that I'm not imposing
a discussion or proposal on anyone and I can just think out loud. ;-) If
I enjoyed the writing and someone enjoys the reading that's enough for
me; if someone wants to join the thought play and comment, all gained.

Nemo