[Wikimedia-l] WMF Grants Program Retrospective 2009-2012 published

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 14 00:26:45 UTC 2013

Dear friends and colleagues,

Another component of the Wikimedia Foundation's increased focus on
grantmaking is now ready for discussion: it is a retrospective report on
the history, evolution, and processes of the Wikimedia Grants Program (the
Foundation's first, and until fairly recently only, grants program).

We were interested in an independent report by someone with a good
understanding of wikis and our shared values, and chose a local Wikipedian
named Kevin Gorman (User:Kevin Gorman), active on English Wikipedia, who
has volunteered in the Wikipedia Education Program and also had an (unpaid)
internship at the Foundation office in San Francisco for a few months in
2011.  Kevin was paid our standard contractor wage for his work on this.

Kevin has posted the report here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Retrospective_2009-2012

I'd like to thank Kevin for his work.

I invite anyone interested to read the report and discuss it on its talk
page.  We believe your inputs will help us improve our current and future
processes, especially as we deepen and widen our grantmaking programs and
strategies. We look forward to a productive discussion.

Please _do_ share this message and link with your respective communities
and lists; please _don't_ discuss this on the lists, but on the talk page,
so that Kevin can respond to questions, and so that I and others at WMF can
provide input as well.

Cheers,

   Asaf
--