[Wikimedia-l] Are there plans for interactions between wikidata and wiktionaries ?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 14:51:39 UTC 2013

Hoi,
If there is one thing that would be extremely powerful, it would be
combining lexical information with Commons. I presented about this in
Alexandria at Wikimania and, it is still true. It makes sense to allow
people to search for a paard or a cheval or a
حصان<http://www.omegawiki.org/Expression:%D8%AD%D8%B5%D8%A7%D9%86>.
They would get pictures of a "horse".

This is what we have shown in OmegaWiki, this is functionality that fulfils
a real life need. What we need is searching for pictures in Commons.

When there is lexical information in a language about a subject and, there
is no Wikipedia article, we can point to the articles in another language.
This can be a language we know the user knows ....

As far as I am concerned, adding interwiki links to all the other projects
is nice. It needs to be done but the added functionality is minimal.

The real challenge for Wikidata is opening up data in multiple languages.
THAT is what you need lexical data for. Lexical data can be found in
Wiktionary and in OmegaWiki. What you can find in OmegaWiki is the proof of
the pudding; this is not pie in the sky. It is feasible, it has been done.
It can be done again.
Thanks,
     GerardM