[Wikimedia-l] Are there plans for interactions between wikidata and wiktionaries ?

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Sat Mar 9 08:51:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

First, congratulation for all the already achieved great work on the
wikidata project.

Now I would be interested to know more about future development,
especially on interactions with wiktionaries.

I think wikidata could help to improve wiktionaries drastically, by
unifying not only interlangs links, but also definitions and
translations.

More accurately what I mean is that currently you often have, attached
to one wiki article you have usually several definitions for each
language where the word is used. But often when I seek a non-french word
in the french wiktionary, looking at the native wiktionary will bring
more definition than what you can find on the french article.

I saw that on the english wiktionary, the interface added a "quick add"
feature, which ask user to fill translation for each meaning. That's
great and I wish it would be added in all chapters. And I think that we
could add even more "hey, what about translating just this little thing"
feature across all dictionary by centralizing entries, so that each
"word" is associated with one or several meaning by language. Then all
meanings could be redistributed to all wiktionnaries, even when no
translation is available for a given meaning in the local chapter. In
this cas we could have an information box that would say "this word have
an other meaning which wasn't yet translated in ${local_language}, if
you one of the language in which a translation is available, please help
us to improve the wiktionary".

What do think about such a project, could it work with wikidata?

kind regards,
mathieu